Saturday, August 06, 2005

Speak Lord

I don’t remember ever being this tired. We drove all night last night from Indy to Charlotte. We did pretty well with the travel, but today we found out that U-Haul decided not to honor our reservation for a storage unit. I have no idea what happened. The company was disorganized at every level. Oh well, these things happen. We spent the afternoon scrambling to find a replacement storage unit. We found one that was still close to The Cause headquarters, and we got a lot of help from some wonderful staff members. Moving our entire house again after getting no sleep has completely wiped me out. It’s actually hurting just to type right now.

I spent a lot of time last night on the road thinking about how God speaks. I’ve certainly had times in my life when I wondered why God wasn’t speaking to me, but I am more and more convinced that the Father is more than willing to speak clearly to those that desperately pursue Him. I think more often than not we mistakenly expect God to respond to our needs. Does scripture say that God responds to needs or faith? Don’t get me wrong–God has come through for my needs countless times, but it had to be out of shear mercy. It is faith that moves Him.

James 4:8 says “Come near to God and he will come near to you.” Being desperate is an eye-opening condition. When you’re desperate, you realize that you’re beyond yourself. It’s the place where you have insatiable thirst that cannot be satisfied. David understood this. “As the deer pants for the streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” (Psalm 42:1-2) Do we passively sit and wait for God to inject Himself into our needs, or do we desperately pursue Him? When and how far can I go to meet with God?

No comments: